Advanced IRAs builds on the attendees’ knowledge of IRA basics to address some of the more complex IRA issues their financial organizations may handle. This is an advanced session; previous IRA knowledge is assumed. The instructor uses real-world exercises to help participants apply information to job-related situations.
What You Will Learn:
- Recognize amendment requirements and procedures
- Describe a catch-all amendment
Resolving Contribution Issues
- Identify the difference between an true excess and a deemed excess
- Explain the deadline to correct an excess contribution
- Calculate net income attributable (NIA) and describe the methods for correcting an excess contribution
- Explain the restrictions on the movement between IRAs and the result of violating the portability restrictions
- Recognize the options available when moving from an employer-sponsored retirement plan to an IRA
- Describe a conversion, a reconversion, and the consequences of an ineligible conversion
RMD and Beneficiary Issues
- Calculate a required minimum distribution (RMD)
- Discuss the RMD rules and reporting requirements
- Describe beneficiary distribution options and deadlines
- Explain the withholding notice and election requirements
- Recognize when withholding is mandatory, how it is reported, and what penalties may apply
Who Should Attend?
You should attend this seminar if you
- are an IRA administrator, personal banker, or member services personnel who has a working knowledge of basic IRA operations and wishes to expand your expertise and provide enhanced customer service;
- are a financial professional who recognizes that IRAs play an integral role in retirement planning;
- are a compliance specialist with procedural oversight of IRA policies and practices; or
- are support personnel responsible for promotional materials that describe the services provided by your financial organization.
About the Presenter: Paul Kern CIS, CIP, CISP, Product Manager of Education
Paul Kern is the Product Manager for Education at Ascensus, Inc. He is responsible for conducting, collaboratively designing and evaluating all training programs to meet the needs of financial organizations nation-wide.
He is an active member of the National Certified IRA Professional (CIP) Examination Board of Directors and CIP Commission. Before joining Ascensus in 2009, Paul worked for CUNA Mutual Group for 5 years as a training consultant. Prior to 2004, Paul worked in K-12 Education for 10 years. He taught 1st and 2nd grade for 4 years and was a technology integrator for 6 years.
CUs under $7M in assets: $ 89 per person (no cost to attend with scholarship)
CUs between $7-$75M in assets: $139 per person ($69.50 with scholarship)
CUs over $75M in assets: $169 per person ($126.75 with scholarship)
A 10% discount will be applied for multiple attendees from your credit union. Discount to both IRA Essentials and/or IRA Advanced workshops.
Discount will be applied after registration has been received.
Education Scholarships are Available: Apply Today!
Hotel at Old Town
830 East First
Wichita, KS 67202
Deadline: Monday, September 2, 2013