On March 19th, the NCUA issued guidance for federal credit unions (13-FCU-02) and a new 55-page Fair Lending Guide, which address exam procedures. Will you need to make changes in your credit union’s underwriting, servicing, and collection procedures? There are 50 checklist questions in the new guide that could impact these areas. Do you know how to answer the 10 most important questions? What are the chances your credit union will be examined under these guidelines?
Join us to learn the most current fair lending "red flags” and "hot buttons” as highlights of the new NCUA guide from the CFBP are reviewed. The 50 checklist questions related to underwriting, servicing, and collections will be addressed and you will understand how to effectively make any required changes to your policies and procedures. This session will help you to prepare for an NCUA fair lending exam.
- Will the Dodd-Frank Act change how your credit union makes and documents lending decisions?
- Do your underwriting criteria need to be changed?
- Fundamentals of fair lending, including best practices for inquiries, loan interviews, application processing, and documenting denials
- What you should know about the new NCUA Fair Lending Guide
- Will you need to make changes in how loans are serviced or collected?
- What do you need to know about underwriting "qualified mortgages?” What about the new home ownership counseling requirements?
- How an effective internal fair-lending review can detect problems before NCUA examiners arrive
- TAKE-AWAY TOOLKIT
- Fair-lending risk-assessment template that will help your FCU determine the quantity and quality of fair-lending risk
- Checklists for preventing common lending-compliance mistakes in Regulation B technical compliance including an Adverse Action Guide
- Analysis of the NCUA checklists for Reg B, fair housing, and HMDA
- Suggested best practices to prove compliance and reduce fair-lending risk, especially in underwriting, servicing, and collections
- Electronic training log
- Quiz you can administer to measure staff learning and a separate answer key
Attendance verification for CE credits provided upon request.
Who Should Attend:
This informative session is designed for federal credit union compliance officers, underwriters, auditors, loan administration staff, and servicing and collection employees.
About the Presenter – Susan Costonis, Compliance Consulting and Training for FIs
Susan Costonis is a compliance consultant and trainer. She specializes in compliance management along with deposit and lending regulatory training. Most of her 34-year career was spent as a banker in several areas including lending, loan administration, electronic banking, and compliance risk management.
Susan has written numerous training manuals and successfully managed compliance programs and exams for institutions that ranged from a community bank to large multi-state bank holding companies. She has worked for institutions supervised by the OCC, FDIC, and Federal Reserve. Susan has been a Certified Regulatory Compliance Manager since 1998, completed the ABA Graduate Compliance School, and graduated from the University of Akron and the Graduate Banking School of the University of Colorado. She regularly presents to financial institution audiences in several states and "translates” complex regulations into simple concepts by using humor and real life examples.
|Over $75 million
|$7 - 75 million
|Under $7 million
Cancellation Policy: Sorry, no cancellations are allowed after connecting instructions and handout materials are distributed to registrants. Substitutions are welcomed and encouraged.
Please note: The live webinar option allows you to have one telephone connection for the audio portion and one Internet connection (from a single computer terminal) to view online visuals as the presentation is delivered. You may have as many people as you like listen from your office speaker phone.